Let me be honest with you: I am really frustrated at the situation.
Week after week after week I receive emails from people all over the world asking me to solve their problems.
Even worst: I receive mails from people that are supposed to be able to help themselves.
They are all crybabies, waiting for someone to put the bottle in their mouths to feed them. You may be one of them. Yes, you. Do not look over your shoulder.
Today I will not only give you one of those rants, I will also help you take the first step. So the next time, you can just write to say thanks while you wipe out your tears.
You should be ashamed of your self!
I will start by sharing with you the email that triggered all this. This is what I received form some Mohammed from somewhere in Asia…
You should be ashamed of yourself, Mohammad!
How is it possible that a University graduate professional has the guts to ask for a job in such a way? What did this person learn all those years? What kind of highly educated human being is not able to set a plan and start working on it?
We are talking about a Chemical Engineer here, my friends! That takes time, money, effort… and I hope some pride! How is that possible to have such a low self esteem?!
Stop being such a cry baby! You (or your parents) did not pay your high education for that! Be a man!
Anger does not take you very far
I can imagine Mohammad at his job or his home, all sad and looking down, crying in the inside for his bad luck. Depression. Depression is a form of anger. It’s an irrational form of anger that makes us punish and hurt ourselves and, as any form of irrational anger, is good for nothing.
Why is that? Simple! Very simple: it’s preventing you to work towards your goal. You just have your mind deep in thoughts that are taking you anywhere.
Be rational and sue your anger in a productive way. Think! Think! Think!
What do you want? How are you going to get there? What do you need to get there? What are your strategies and tactics?
You are an Engineer my friend! You should know better than this!
How to use Rational Anger to Immigrate to Canada
So let me give you a quick help with this. The following is some food for thought that, hopefully, will help you put back in your feet and start going.
- The chances of getting a job from outside Canada are very, very, very low
- Sending emails like the above do not help. Who will want to hire a looser?
- No money, no visa. If you are poor and cannot get at least a few thousand dollars your Canadian dream will be even further.
- There are several different immigration programs. You may be well fit in one of them!
- Invest: in education, languages and a good, trustable Registered Immigration Consultant.
- An Immigration Consultant should be able to assess your profile and give you good recommendations. But be careful: it’ s plenty of garbage out there.
- Make a plan, even if it will take 2 years. Immigration is not easy nor fast. there’s no easy and fast path to Canada. I can assure you.
- If you are a proud University Professional (not like Mohammad) go to Linked in, make a nice, good profile and start networking with people in Canada working in your area.
- Ask around all you need to know about your field in this country: salaries, employers, cities, recruiters…
- Information is the key to success
- And remember… Feeling sorry for themselves is not what Successful Immigrant do!
Now it’s your turn…
C’mon! Stand up! Shake yourself a little bit. Go to the washroom an wash your face… Are you ready? I want you to perform a task right here, right now!
I want you to go to LinkedIn, create a profile (or update the one you already have) and research for all the groups related to your professional area.
When you are done, come back and leave me a comment telling me how many you found and recommending the one you liked the most.