Citizenship and Immigration Canada just announced a new version of the Discover Canada guide. If you are studying for your citizenship or you are a newcomer needing to know your roles and responsibilities, you should check this News Release.
The Discover Canada update contains everything from the previous release and more. Changes to the guide include:
- A new pull-out box called Becoming Canadian which emphasizes that a newcomer has a responsibility to embrace Canadian democratic principles and that past experiences in warfare or conflict do not justify bringing violent, extreme or hateful prejudices to Canada.
- Recognition that gay and lesbian Canadians enjoy the full protection of and equal treatment under the law, including access to civil marriage.
- The addition of forced marriage among the practices that are not tolerated in Canada.
- Additions to the section on the War of 1812, which celebrates its bicentennial next year. The section has been expanded to include more context on the conflict and its importance in shaping Canada.
- A revamped Modern Canada section including new headings, more content about trade and economic growth, and more examples of Canada’s outstanding cultural figures.
You can download the guide at the official Discover Canada website.